Alumni Hall Undergoes Renovations
Earlier this year, the College was awarded a $1 million capital grant for the $2.2 million renovation of the historic Alumni Hall as a community center project. State Senator John Wozniak, D-Westmont, was instrumental in helping the College obtain the grant. The funds became available when Governor Ed Rendell authorized the release of $1 million in redevelopment assistance capital grant funding for the College.
Charles Schwab, Pittsburgh steel tycoon, got word of the need for Mount Aloysius Academy to expand at the turn of the twentieth century. Schwab had always considered himself an alumnus of Mount Aloysius since his
days as a child, when Mother M. Gertrude Cosgrave gave him piano lessons in Loretto. With the plans for construction underway in 1902, Schwab promised to “foot the bill” for the brand new hall.
Constructed to complement the architecture of the Main Administration Building, Alumni Hall’s vaulted roof was designed to provide excellent acoustics and featured stained glass windows and a Shakespearean stage. Since its construction, it has been used as a gymnasium, assembly hall, and auditorium.
The building has been refurbished and brought up to twenty-first century standards. It has a new stage and theater style seating. On the exterior, work included building a new vestibule and entrance.
The renovation was completed in January.