Military Affairs

Home » Financial Aid » Military Affairs



Military Affairs at Mount Aloysius College is dedicated to helping students who have served, and are serving, in the United States military. We are here to help you understand the educational funding that is available to veterans – this includes both the GI Bill as well as the Yellow Ribbon Program. MAC is proudly ranked as a top 15% military friendly college in the United States of America and was the first college in this region to receive this honor.

We are also here to help make the transition to Mount Aloysius College easier. Whether you have questions about academic programs of study or resources on campus, we can help you become a Mount Aloysius College student.

Mount Aloysius College stays current with veteran’s issues through the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. We encourage students to visit their web-site at to gain a better understanding of benefits that are in place. They also have a Frequently Asked Questions section to assist students.

What Chapter Am I?

Since the Department of Veterans Affairs handles education benefits pertaining to all veterans and dependents of veterans, there are several different chapters that students fall into. The following is a brief description of each Chapter covered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For a more comprehensive description, eligibility requirements, and benefit information, please reference the GI Bill Website at

Chapter 30 MGIB Educational Assistance Program:
If you served or are currently serving on active duty.

Chapter 30 section 3020 MGIB “Transfer of Entitlement” Program:
If you are the spouse or child of a person who qualified for the above Chapter 30 and believe that your parent/spouse transferred entitlement to you.

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation:
You must be 10% or greater disabled (identified by the VA) to be considered. The Department of Veterans Affairs must approve entrance into this program.

Chapter 32 Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program VEAP:
If you served on active duty at any time from January 1, 1977 through June 30, 1985 and either contributed funds or had your service branch make contributions for you.

Chapter 33 the Post 9/11 “NEW” GI Bill:
If you qualify for either: Chapter 30, Chapter 31, Chapter 1606, or Chapter 1607, you may qualify for this new program affective August 1, 2009. Please reference the VA website at for more information regarding this excellent opportunity.

Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance:
If you are a spouse or child of a 100% service-connected disabled veteran or spouse or child of a veteran that died in service or of a service-connected disability.

Chapter 1606 MGIB Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program:
If you are on Selected Reserve service (Reserve or National Guard).

Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program:
If you are a Reservist that was called to active duty to support contingency or other specific operations.

FAFSA Facts for VA Beneficiaries

Q. What documents do I need to complete the FAFSA?

You will need the following documents:

  • SSN
  • Driver’s license number
  • W-2 and other records of money earned
  • Your (and your spouse’s, if you are married) Federal Income Tax Return
  • Your parents’ Federal Income Tax return (if you are a dependent student)
  • Documents showing veterans benefits, child support or worker’s compensation
  • Current bank statements
  • Current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records.

Q. Am I considered independent?

You are independent if you answer yes to one of the following questions:

  • Are you 24?
  • As of today, are you married?
  • Are you working on a master’s or doctorate program?
  • Are you currently serving active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
    • Answer yes, if you are currently serving in the US Armed Forces or a National Guard or Reserves enlistee who is on active duty for other than state or training purposes.
    • Answer no, if you are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee who is on active duty for state or training purposes.
  • Are you a veteran of the US Armed Forces?
    • Answer yes, if you have 1)engaged in active duty in the US Armed Forces or are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee who was called to active duty for other than state or training purposes, or were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies and 2) were released under a condition other than dishonorable.
    • Answer no, 1) if you have never engaged in active duty in the US Armed Forces, 2) are currently a ROTC student or cadet or midshipman at a service academy, or 3) are a National Guard or Reserve enlistee activated only for state or training purposes, or 4) were engaged in active duty in the US Armed Forces but released under dishonorable conditions.
  • See FAFSA for additional dependency questions.

Q. I am no longer active duty. Do I still need to list my pay on the FAFSA?

Yes, you will need to list accurate information from your documentation. If your income has changed drastically, you can submit a Special Consideration Form to the Financial Aid Office. We may adjust your income to reflect what you are expecting to receive for the year that you are a student.

Q. Do I need to report combat pay on the FAFSA?

You would only list combat pay that was taxable and included in your adjusted gross income. You will exclude anything listed on your W-2 (Box 12, Code Q).

Q. Does my VA Disability pay get added to my wages?

You will list the amount of your VA Disability under untaxed income.

Q. Do I need to list my GI bill benefit under untaxed income?

No, you only list non-educational VA benefits.

Q. Where do I list the amount of the GI bill that I will receive?

You will list the amount of the benefit in question #44- untaxed income.

The Yellow Ribbon Program

To qualify for 100% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill a Veteran must have served:

  • minimum of 3 years active duty since September 11, 2001 or
  • at least 30 continuous days active duty since September 11, 2001, and discharged due to service-connected disability
  • service members on active duty and their spouses using transferred benefits are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon

Required Documentation to be considered for the Benefit

To receive Yellow Ribbon benefits, an eligible veteran/student MUST submit:

  • The FAFSA every year
  • A copy of the DD 214 (Discharge Paper) to the Office of Military Affairs prior to receiving initial benefits
  • VA FORM 1990 (Application for Veteran Benefits) to the Office of Military Affairs prior to receiving initial benefits.

Chapter 33: The Post 9/11 'New' GI Bill

We have provided a summary of benefits for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  This information has been taken directly from the GI Bill web-site.  For a more detailed description and for most recent updates, please visit their web-site:

Section I: The Post 9/11 GI Bill vs. Current GI Bill Programs

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is a new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. No payments can be made under this program for training pursued before September 11, 2001. Table 1 shows how long a veteran must have served after September 11, 2001 to receive the percentage of benefits specified.

Military Affairs - Required Time Served and Benefits Payable to Service Members

Individuals serving an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001 of: 
Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable 
At least 36 months100
At least 30 continuous days and discharged due to service - connected disability100
At least 30 months < 36 months90
At least 24 months < 30 months80
At least 18 months < 24 months70
At least 12 months < 18 months60
At least 6 months < 12 months50
At least 90 days < 6 months40

The Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009.

Service members are eligible for benefits for 15 years from the last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days. If the service member was released for a service-connected disability after at least 30 days of continuous service, that veteran will also be eligible for benefits for 15 years.

If students qualify for any other program through the GI Bill (GI Bill (Chapter 30) GI Bill – Selected Reserve, or the Reserve Educational Assistance Program) and meet requirements for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, on August 1, 2009, they may make an irrevocable election to receive benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Service members are eligible to receive benefits for up to 36 total months (including months used under other MGI Bill programs prior to the irrevocable election to receive benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill).

Students should monitor the GI Bill website at for updated information and application submission dates.

NOTE: Once students elect to receive benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, they will no longer be eligible to receive benefits from other MGI Bill programs.

Military Affairs - Differences between the Montgomery GI Bill and the New GI Bill

Montgomery GI Bill Chapter 30
Post 9/11 GI Bill: Chapter 33
Payment Rate for Full-Time StudentAnnually set - Nationwide - monthly payment rate. Increased to $1,321 in 2008-2009. Paid to the student each monthA payment indexed to full in-state tuition for public schools. A lump sum paid directly to the school each term. The national average for in-state tuition in 2008 is $6,185.
Duration of Program36 month entitlement36 month entitlement
Additional Expense PaymentsNo additional payments for expensesLiving Expenses - stipend based on local BAH for E-5 with dependents
Eligibility RequirementsThose who entered service to the military after June 30, 1985Active - duty service since September 11, 2001
Veteran Education Assistance Program (VEAP) - era EligibilityNo - Except those who elected to convert in the pastYes - Those who meet the eligibility criteria.
Benefit Expiration10 years after separation or discharge15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 days
Transfer Benefits to FamiliesLImited - Currently limited to Army for Critical MOS onlyYes - but this is limited to those in the military. The details are still being worked out.
Enrollment FeeYes - $1,200NONE

Section II: Eligibility Requirements under the Post-9/11 GI Bill

Student-Veterans may be eligible if they served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and are still on active duty or were honorably:

  • Discharged from the active duty
  • Released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list
  • Released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve
  • Released from the active duty for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces.
  • Released from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.

Section III: Payable Benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill

Based on the student’s length of active duty service (refer to Table 1), students are entitled to a percentage of the following:

Payable to the School:

Cost of tuition and fees, not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education.

Payable to the Student:

  • Monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as your school. The housing allowance is not payable to those pursuing training at half time or less or to individuals enrolled in distance learning. Service members on active duty or their spouses using transferred benefits are not eligible for the housing allowance.
  • Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 per year, based on percentage of eligibility
  • A one-time payment of $500 paid to certain individuals relocating from highly rural areas
  • Up to $2,000 for the reimbursement of one licensing or certification test

Transferring Benefits to Dependents:

Service members should contact the Service Retention Officer at their unit, or visit for benefit transfer information and required paperwork.

Are you waiting for your VA Education Benefits?

The Department of Veterans Affairs has made funds available for Veteran students who are still awaiting their education benefit claim to be processed. Eligible veterans can receive up to a $3000 advance, which will be recouped from future benefit payments. If you are a student who applied for one of VA’s education programs and have not yet received your monthly benefit payment, you can request a one-time advance payment at your local VA Regional Office or through VA’s website,

Shopping Sheet Information

Financial Aid Veterans Shopping Sheet

The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is a standardized form that is designed to simplify information that prospective veteran students receive about costs and financial aid so they can make informed decisions about which postsecondary institution to attend. This includes grant and scholarship amounts, net costs, graduation rates, loan default rates, median borrowing, and estimated monthly loan payments after graduation.

The information contained in this Shopping Sheet is only current as of the date it was viewed or printed.  The shopping sheet is based on the student’s enrollment status, academic major, and is inclusive of estimated housing and meals, books and supplies, transportation, and other education costs.

A SAMPLE SHOPPING SHEET:       View a generic shopping sheet sample PDF

(Your personal shopping sheet will include much more data and details based on your eligibility).

To view a complete Shopping Sheet from Mount Aloysius, students must have completed admissions requirements and all financial aid requirements.  The complete shopping sheet will be sent along with the student’s award letter.

To View Your Financial Aid Veteran Shopping Sheet Data

You can view your Financial Aid Veteran Shopping Sheet once you have:

  1. completed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and
  2. received a Financial Aid Award letter via mail

Other Links

We are here to serve you! If you have any questions about military benefits, please contact:

Sally Weber
Associate Registrar, Coordinator of Military Affairs
Marisa Evans
Director of Counseling and Disability Services
Stacy Schenk
Director of Financial Aid
Rick Mishler
Director of Transfer and Returning Adult Freshmen Admissions