Transfer FAQ

Home » Future Students » Future Student FAQs » Transfer FAQ
What is the maximum number of credits that I can transfer?

Our Director of Transfer and Returning Adult Freshman Admissions is happy to meet with students to discuss if courses are transferable. The best time to meet is during the week, Monday through Friday (8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) for an individual appointment.

How do I know if my courses will transfer?

Our Director of Transfer and Returning Adult Freshmen Admissions is happy to meet with students to discuss if courses are transferable. The best time to meet is during the week, Monday through Friday (8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) for an individual appointment. Students who transfer in 30 credits or more toward a degree program will be granted sophomore, junior status where appropriate.

How reasonable is MAC with the transfer of courses?

Courses that are completed at regionally accredited institutions and are applicable to your major will transfer. We also transfer in credits from selected nationally accredited institutions and the military. Mount Aloysius College has specific articulation agreements with a number of colleges and universities.

What will happen if I have an Associate degree?

In most cases, if you have an Associate degree and are continuing for a Bachelors degree in the same field of study, you will receive junior standing at Mount Aloysius College.

Does MAC enroll many transfer students each year?

We do! About 200 (+) of our new class each fall is made up of transfer students. Our students come to us from a diverse range of colleges and universities, too. We accept transfer students in both the fall and spring semester. Transfer students range in ages from 19-80+!

Does MAC have any agreements with colleges and universities to transfer in credits?

We do. We have agreements with colleges, business schools, and nursing schools throughout Pennsylvania. If you received an Associate degree or RN diploma (for nurses) you are given junior standing at Mount Aloysius College.

Can I transfer in the spring?

Transfer students are able to start Mount Aloysius courses in the spring. Students can choose to start in the fall or the spring semester.

Do you offer day care on the campus?

Our Ann Harris Smith Little People’s Place offers safe, convenient, and affordable child care that accommodates your class schedule. Children from the ages of two to five are welcome, but space is limited. If you have more questions, please feel free to contact Little People’s Place at (814) 886-6456.

Is there someone there who can help me choose courses while I am at my current college?

Rick Mishler is the Director of Transfer and Returning Adult Freshman Admissions. He is very happy to help you verify that courses are transferable and that you are scheduled for classes that will transfer.

Can transfer students get scholarships?

Sure! There are a number of scholarship opportunities for transfer students ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 a year. We also participate in all federal and state financial aid programs.

What is the minimum grade that I need to transfer a class?

Students must have a C or better to transfer a class. We do not accept C- and we do not accept courses that were completed Pass/Fail.

How old can credits be to be eligible to transfer?

Many liberal arts courses have no time limit to them. Sciences and Computer Science courses must be 7 years old or less.

Can I sit down with someone to see if my credits will transfer?

Absolutely! Rick Mishler is our Director and he would be happy to go over your transcripts with you. You can schedule an individual appointment, or you can meet with Rick at one of our visitation days.

Can I attend as a part-time student?

You can. While students can attend MAC on a part-time basis, we encourage students to go full-time so that they can benefit from full-time financial aid and scholarships. Students who attend full-time often finish their degree faster and can enter the job market more quickly.

Can I start by taking classes at night?

Mount Aloysius College does offer a number of courses at night, but not all of our courses are offered during evening hours. Most students do eventually have to come during the day to complete a degree.
Full-time status means that you are taking at least 12 credits a semester.

Can I live on campus?

We do provide housing for traditional transfer students. Mount Aloysius College does not provide housing for married students.

When will I know that my credits are transferring?

We send a transfer evaluation with your acceptance letter. Our transfer counselors can do an unofficial transfer evaluation when you visit the College. Transfer evaluations are released quickly from the Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions.

When does the next term begin?

Mount Aloysius College accepts students in a rolling admissions basis for Spring and Fall Semesters. If you want to get started, there is no better time than now. You can come and visit the college and fill out a fee waived application. Students can enroll in the fall or spring semester, respectively. Contact Admissions at (814) 886-6383 to get the ball rolling.

Do transfer students have the opportunity to do internships?

Yes! Many of our degree programs have internships as part of the curriculum.

Do you accept CLEP exams?

Yes. We do accept CLEP results. Mount Aloysius College does not offer the CLEP exam, but we can help you find a college/university that does.

What is TRA/TAA and do you participate in these programs?

Trade Readjustment Act (TRA) TAA funding was created to provide benefits and services to workers who become unemployed due to the impact of international trade. TAA helps laid-off workers gain skills necessary to secure employment and advance in the workplace. Mount Aloysius College is a proud supporter of the Trade Readjustment Act, allowing displaced workers to get funding to further their education.

Trade eligible Programs include:

Cresson Campus

Associate Degrees:

  • Legal Studies
  • Nursing
  • Medical Imaging-Radiography
  • Medical Laboratory Technician
  • Physical Therapy Assistant

Bachelor Degrees:

  • Business Administration
  • Information Technology

Dubois Campus

Associate Degrees:

  • Medical Imaging-Radiography
  • Medical Laboratory Technician

If you are eligible for TRA money and want to learn more about our academic programs of study, please contact Rick Mishler in the  Office of Transfer and Returning Adult Freshman Admissions at 814-886-6383 or For Information about TRA funding at Mount Aloysius, contact Michelle Elliott of the Financial Aid Office at 814-886-6496 or


Upcoming Admission Events

Questions? Contact a member of our enrollment management team!

Photo of Rick Mishler

Rick Mishler

Director of Transfer and Returning Adult Freshmen Admissions

Aerial Photo of Mount Aloysius Campus