Offered as: Bachelor
- English Concentration
- History/Political Science Concentration
- General Science Concentration
Why Study Teacher Education at Mount Aloysius College?
Our education programs are small and very individualized; we know our students, what they need and we accommodate. Our students are in actual classrooms right away and begin to learn from masterful teachers during observations and field placements. The programs balance between theory and practical application, and also ensure the integration of Mercy values in all education courses.
Mountie grads bring to their future classrooms a strong knowledge base and skill set to teach in 7-12 classrooms. All education students join the student Pennsylvania Education Association which provides additional opportunities for service trips, professional development, and colleagueship.
Where will I work?
Upon graduation, MAC graduates in the Teacher Education program enjoy an excellent job placement and professional employers of our graduates include:
- Classroom teaching positions in the tri-state areas (Virginia, Maryland, PA)
- Employment at alternative classrooms
- Many have become principals
- Head Start and Pre-K Counts
- Support Services e.g., Pathways to Independence
- Most enroll in masters after graduation and several are in Ph. D. or Ed. D programs
Recent Success Stories
Tiffani Finnegan, Class of 2015, earned a teaching job at Chestnut Ridge School District.
Michaela Villa, Class of 2016, is teaching first grade at Northern Bedford County School District.
Jennifer Mesoras is Principal at Cambria Elementary School Central Cambria School District.
Who will teach me?
Top-notch professors have all had classroom experience in pre—K through 12 classrooms. The professors that teach in the Teacher Education Department at Mount Aloysius College have a combined 150 years of teaching experience. All full-time professors hold doctoral degrees.
Dig Deeper!Available Concentrations and Specializations
- Early Level Pre-K through grade four with concentrations in English and the Language Arts, history, science and biology
- Middle Level grades 4-8 with concentrations in English, history, science and biology
- Secondary Education with majors in English, biology, history/policiatl science, and general science and specializing in Education
- An associate degree in Early Childhood Education for working in child care, Head Start, and Pre-K Counts classrooms