Offered as: Bachelor
- English Concentration
- History/Political Science Concentration
- General Science Concentration
Why Study Teacher Education at Mount Aloysius College?
At Mount Aloysius, we know our students, what they need and we accommodate. This has lead to the development of one of the most successful education programs in the region. Our students are in actual classrooms from the start. The programs balance between theory and practical application, and also ensure the integration of Mercy values in all education courses.
Mount Aloysius has a pre-school center right at the heart of our campus. The Ann Harris Child Care Center is a nationally accredited child care center, readily accessible for students to observe and participate with young children and experienced teachers.
All education students join the student Pennsylvania Education Association which provides additional opportunities for service trips, professional development, and colleagueship.
- Individualized programs
- Both K-4 and 4-8 certification
- On campus Child Care Center for observations/trainings
- Field placements and early hands-on training
- All students are PSEA members
From My Point of View
“What makes the Education program at Mount Aloysius College so great is the experiences that are provided for the students as future educators. The program was so well balanced between providing us with hands on experiences and preparing us with the core knowledge that is necessary in being an effective teacher. It is clear that this program was founded upon the four core values of this institution. The professors were extremely caring and wanted to help students develop both as teachers and as individuals. Most importantly, the program provided hands-on experiences in and out of the classroom through the various service opportunities that we were given.” – Liz Hogue, ’12
Where will I work?
Upon graduation, MAC graduates in the Teacher Education program enjoy an excellent job placement and professional employers of our graduates include:
- Classroom teaching positions in the tri-state areas (Virginia, Maryland, PA)
- Employment at alternative classrooms
- Many have become principals
- Head Start and Pre-K Counts
- Support Services e.g., Pathways to Independence
- Most enroll in masters after graduation and several are in Ph. D. or Ed. D programs
Recent Success Stories
Tiffani Finnegan, Class of 2015, earned a teaching job at Chestnut Ridge School District.
Michaela Villa, Class of 2016, is teaching first grade at Northern Bedford County School District.
Jennifer Mesoras is Principal at Cambria Elementary School Central Cambria School District.
Who will teach me?
Top-notch professors have all had classroom experience in pre—K through 12 classrooms. The professors that teach in the Teacher Education Department at Mount Aloysius College have a combined 150 years of teaching experience. All full-time professors hold doctoral degrees.
Dig Deeper!Available Concentrations and Specializations
- Early Level Pre-K through grade four with concentrations in English and the Language Arts, history, science and biology
- Middle Level grades 4-8 with concentrations in English, history, science and biology
- Secondary Education with majors in English, biology, history/policiatl science, and general science and specializing in Education
- An associate degree in Early Childhood Education for working in child care, Head Start, and Pre-K Counts classrooms