Offered as: Bachelor
- English Concentration
- History/Political Science Concentration
- General Science Concentration
Why Study Early Level Education at Mount Aloysius College?
At Mount Aloysius, we know the needs of our students and we accommodate. This has lead to the development of one of the most successful education programs in the region. Our students are in actual classrooms from the onset. This program balances between theory and practical application, and also ensure the integration of Mercy values into all education courses.
What do Early Level Education graduates do?
Most graduates go on to become teachers. Early Level (K-4) certifies graduates to teach any grade from kindergarten to fourth grade.
Educators work with children on a daily basis. They assist with learning and comprehension, as well as basic social skills. Early level educators must be aware of the emotions of the children they work with and learn to adapt.
Teachers enjoy careers in the following areas:
- Classroom teaching positions in the tri-state area (Virginia, Maryland, PA)
- Employment at alternative classrooms
- Many have become principals
- Head Start and Pre-K Counts
- Support Services e.g., Pathways to Independence
- Most enroll in masters after graduation and several are in Ph. D. or Ed. D programs
Are there job openings? How much will I make?
The demand for Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers is expected to rise 6% from 2014 to 2024, an increase of 87,800 jobs.*
The average median wage for a kindergarten teacher (excluding special education) in the state of Pennsylvania is $52,790. The average median wage for an elementary school teacher (excluding special education) in the state of Pennsylvania is $61,730.*
Recent Success Stories
Tiffani Finnegan, Class of 2015, earned a teaching job at Chestnut Ridge School District.
Michaela Villa, Class of 2016, is teaching first grade at Northern Bedford County School District.
Jennifer Mesoras is Principal at Cambria Elementary School, Central Cambria School District.
Who will teach me?
This program has top-notch professors who all have experience in pre-K through 12th Grade classrooms. The professors who teach in the Teacher Education Department at Mount Aloysius College have a combined 150 years of teaching experience. All full-time professors hold doctoral degrees.
Dig Deeper!Available Concentrations and Specializations
- Early Level Pre-K through Grade four with concentrations in English and the Language Arts, History, Science and Biology
- Middle Level Grades 4-8 with concentrations in English, History, Science and Biology
- Secondary Education with majors in English, Biology, History/Political Science, and General Science and Specializing in Education
- An associate degree in Early Childhood Education for working in child care, Head Start, and Pre-K Counts classrooms