The Surgical Technology Program at Mount Aloysius College is dedicated to influencing and impacting a new generation of medical professionals.
The program itself offers an intriguing array of courses that will prepare you for an exciting career as a Surgical Technologist.
- The College boasts two on-campus mock operating rooms which allow students to gain surgical experience prior to entering the clinical site.
- The Program holds affiliation agreements with area hospitals providing the students with real world, hands-on training in the operative setting.
- Small class sizes allow for a 6:1 student/instructor ration.
The dedicated staff and experienced faculty at Mount Aloysius College bring a variety of expertise to the Surgical Technology curriculum.
What is a Surgical Technologist?
A Surgical Technologist is an allied health professional whom works as a part of the operative team delivering care to the surgical patient. They work hand in hand with other members of the surgical team, i.e., the surgeon, circulating registered nurse, and anesthesia care provider. They possess extensive knowledge and skills in aseptic technique and sterility. They are a direct patient advocate.
Surgical Technologists posses a vast knowledge of hundreds of surgical procedures and the steps the surgeon must take in order to complete the procedure.
Duties of a Surgical Technologist
* Prepare the operating room for surgery
* Arrange the surgical supplies and instrumentation
* Prepare the patient for surgery by cleansing the skin with an antiseptic solution
* Drape the patient with sterile surgical drapes
* Anticipate the surgeon’s needs through out the procedure
* Pass surgical instrumentation to the surgeon
* Retraction, suction, and cutting of sutures
* Count the instrumentation/sponges/supplies before and after each surgical case
* Apply surgical dressings
* Perform clean-up/turn over between each case
- Operating Room
- Cardiac Catheterization Lab
- Emergency Department
- Obstetrics Department
- Gastrointestinal Lab
- Surgical Centers, Clinics
- Private Doctors’ Offices
- Medical Sales
- Program Instructor/Director
According to the United States Department of Labor/Bureau of Labor Statistics
2015 Median Pay $44,330 per year
$21.31 per hour
Number of Jobs, 2014 99,800
Projected growth in the field, 2014-2024 +15% (Much faster than average)
The Mount Aloysius Surgical Technology Program is nationally accredited by the following:
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
Accreditation Review Council for Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA)
6 West Dry Creek Circle
Certification Exam-Certified Surgical Technologist
Mount Aloysius College Surgical Technology students are eligible to sit for the National Surgical Technologist Certification Exam. This exam is offered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA). Graduates whom take and pass the certification exam are certified and authorized to use the initials CST to designate their status as a Certified Surgical Technologists.
2014-2015 Certification Exam Pass Rate:
12/14 students passed the National Surgical Technologist Certification Exam on their first attempt, yielding an 86% pass rate. The national mean is a 68% pass rate.
2013-2014 Certification Exam Pass Rate:
10/11 students passed the National Surgical Technologist Certification Exam on their first attempt, yielding a 91% pass rate. The national mean is a 68% pass rate.
Please read the Essential Functions Policy below. This policy outlines the mental and physical skills needed to become a successful Surgical Technologist.