UPDATE: Due to the Coronavirus situation, Mount Aloysius College VITA is not currently accepting new clients. We are working with the IRS to determine how we can finalize existing clients’ returns. Please consult our information below for other online options regarding your tax return (specifically the remote option of FreeFile through Intuit and other providers), as well as The Greater Johnstown Tax Team website for other tax return options and locations. Please be advised taxing authorities have extended the tax deadline to 7/15 and the property/rent rebate deadline to 12/31 due to the COVID-19 outbreak. You can also Free-file through the IRS.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $56,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
Many in-person tax preparation sites, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and AARP Tax-Aide, have made the difficult decision to close their sites to protect the public and their volunteers from COVID-19. However, free IRS-sponsored online resources are available and we need your help to bring this important information to your community.
IRS Free File provides free tax preparation and e-filing online for those making $69,000 or less in 2019. Free File is a great alternative to in-person tax assistance.
Our process has changed to a walk-in location and will no longer be accepting appointments. Clients will meet with a preparer to drop off their tax return information and will be contacted once their returns have been completed which should take between 1-2 weeks (based on site capacity).
Our services will be offered from February 10 – April 9, 2020 (weather permitting; please see below). Our office will be closed on February 26 and resume on February from 12 – 4 p.m.
If you do not think you qualify for the VITA or Free File programs, you can also search for paid tax preparers through the IRS directory to assist you with your return.
For more information about the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), visit the IRS VITA website. You can also consider preparing your own tax return through the IRS Free File Program delivered by Turbo Tax. If you wish to do so, see if you qualify at the Free File Intuit website. If you do not, the IRS has other Free File providers on its website you can see if you can qualify for, or you can proceed to see about getting your return done through our VITA site.
If the College closes due to weather, our Vita Office will also be closed.
Information to Bring for Return Preparation:
- Printed and signed VITA Service Agreement (Copies will also be made available on site.)
- Acceptable Photo Identification (driver’s license, passport, state ID card, etc.) for you and your spouse
- For Married Filing Jointly filers, both spouses must be present
- All Forms W-2 and 1099
- Information substantiating other income
- Information substantiating all tax deductions / tax credits
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Proof of account for direct deposit / withdrawal for tax refund / payment
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification notices/cards for you, your spouse, and/or the dependents you claim on the return
- Information substantiating the total paid to day care provider and their Tax ID number
- Birth dates for you, spouse, and/or dependents to be listed on the return
- Forms 1095-A, B, or C (Affordable Care Act [ACA] Statements)