Degrees type: Bachelor
At Mount Aloysius College, students can design classes to meet their career goals. Professional options for this exciting major are growing and changing. Today’s career opportunities are found in many areas, including:
- Commercial writing,
- Public speaking,
- Digital and social media,
- Public Relations,
- Marketing, and
- a wide variety of other related fields.
Our world consumes vast amounts of information. Communicators create and distribute content that fuels life in the 21st Century. Studying this exciting discipline at Mount Aloysius College prepares you for the future. New models of communication are evolving. Many involve traditional skill-sets. Our faculty understand this evolution.
The Communication Studies program empowers graduates to excel in an expanding variety of careers. Opportunities are evolving as society discovers new ways of messaging. Today’s communicators use words, images, texts, numbers, video, sounds and shadows. Careers in the field are growing and taking new shapes as needs in marketing, corporate communications, the arts, non-profits, journalism and news media evolve.
- Advertising and Promotions Manager
- Audio Visual Technicians
- Communications Teachers – Post secondary
- Content Creators
- Copy Writers
- Digital Media Managers
- Directors, Stage Managers, Motion Picture, Television and Radio
- Graphic Designers
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Marketing Managers
- Poets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
- Public Relations and Fundraising Managers
- Public Relations Specialists
- Social Media Managers and Specialists
- Technical Writers
- Video Editors
- Web Content Developers
- Many more…
The demand for Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers is expected to rise 10% from 2016 to 2026, an increase of 1,700 jobs.* The average median wage for an advertising, promotions, and marketing manager in the state of Pennsylvania is $131,730.*
The demand for Public Relations Specialists is expected to rise 9% from 2016 to 2026, an increase of 22,900 jobs.* The average median wage for a Public Relations Specialist in the state of Pennsylvania is $59,350.**
Students who complete the major in Communication Studies will:
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal, group, and public communication skills;
- Write clearly and effectively in forms and styles appropriate for the professions, audiences and purposes being served;
- Demonstrate the ethical use of communication tools and practices;
- Conduct research and critically evaluate information using methods appropriate to communication studies professions;
- Develop expertise across media platforms to craft creative, aesthetically effective messages according to media industry standards;
- Demonstrate the ability to apply rhetorical principles in a variety of creative, digital, organizational, professional and journalistic venues; and
- Develop a global awareness of political, social and corporate communication sensitivity and skills.
Student Voices & Success Stories
- John Moist, ‘14, is a Graduate Fellow studying Rhetoric at Baylor University.
- Kalyn Blake, ‘16, is a Marketing Assistant at Advanced Regional Center for Ankle and Foot Care in Altoona, PA. Kalyn is also a Graduate Assistant in Communications who is pursuing her Master in Business at Mount Aloysius College.
Still have questions?
A member of the admissions team would love to get connected with you!
Main Administration Building
7373 Admiral Peary Highway
Cresson, PA 16630