Degrees type: Associate
The field of Physical Therapy is continually evolving and the demand for these professionals is expanding nationally. Students majoring in the Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) program at Mount Aloysius College benefit from the close support of outstanding faculty who are committed to your success. Class sizes are kept small, offering students a warm, close-knit learning environment. The program takes (5) semesters to complete with graduation in late August after completion of full-time clinical placements in the summer of the second year.
Aimed at helping patients maximize physical function; this career path offers years of fulfilling engagement as a respected paraprofessional. Graduates of the Mount Aloysius Physical Therapist Assistant program need academic focus and the ability to put the well-being of their patients first.
Students pursuing this profession at Mount Aloysius enjoy the support of an experienced and caring faculty and quality clinical partners. Their commitment is focused on helping you gain the knowledge and experience needed to excel; successfully navigating the National Physical Therapist Assistant Examination, and entering this exciting profession with competency and compassion.
Mount Aloysius College offers students enrolled in the PTA program the opportunity to continue on to complete a Bachelor’s degree enabling them to be eligible to apply to a Physical Therapy program. They can work as a PTA once they have passed the National Exam and work as a PTA while pursuing a higher degree.
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Outpatient physical therapy offices
- Home care
- Offices of physical, occupational and speech therapists
- Rehabilitation centers, both inpatient and outpatient
- K-12 education schools
Some of our graduates have been hired at:
- Conemaugh Hospital and Home Health
- Dreyer PT
- Guardian – Epworth Manor, Tyrone; Hillview Altoona
- Healthsouth rehabilitation centers and out-patient offices
- Kids First
- Lewistown Hospital
- Lutheran Home
- Mount Nittany Hospital
- Presbyterian Home
- University Orthopedics
- UPMC Altoona
- Village at Morrison’s Cove
- Industrial rehabilitation centers
The demand for physical therapist assistants is expected to rise 41% from 2014 to 2024, an increase of 31,900 jobs.*
The average median wage for a physical therapist assistant in the state of Pennsylvania is $48,010.*
Upon completion of the Associate of Science Degree Physical Therapist Assistant program, the graduate will:
- perform as a competent and skilled physical therapist assistant at the entry level, having an in-depth knowledge of the basic and clinical sciences, relative to patient/client management from the simplest to the most complex patient conditions;
- apply knowledge to prevent, correct and/or alleviate acute or prolonged movement dysfunctions;
- function in a clinical team atmosphere, appropriately referring patients/clients to other healthcare providers/agencies/ resources within the context of managed patient care;
- demonstrate awareness for the commitment to a pursuit of personal and professional development and growth, becoming lifelong learners seeking experiences necessary to remain current with changes in health care policy and patient care;
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the Standards of Ethical Conduct for the Physical Therapist Assistant, Core Values, and Standards of Practice for Physical Therapy as a guide for practice;
- demonstrate advocacy skills for the professional and the consumer; and
- be eligible to sit for the National Physical Therapist Assistant Examination (NPTAE) to enable entry-level employment in the physical therapy field.
Mount Aloysius Student Receives National Veteran Leadership Award
John, '20, was awarded the 2020 Student Veteran Leadership Award from G.I. Jobs Magazine.
Helping Others Succeed
Van, ’18, loves that his job as a physical therapist assistant allows him to help people meet their goals.
A Rehabilitation Journey
Kelsey knew that she wanted to be a PTA after seeing how therapy helped her father.
Go with the Flow
Cameron’s PTA career unexpectedly led to entrepreneurship.
Still have questions?
A member of the admissions team would love to get connected with you!
Main Administration Building
7373 Admiral Peary Highway
Cresson, PA 16630