Vox Nova is a select mixed vocal ensemble which performs music from the Renaissance to current day.
The ensemble performs its own series of concerts at the College. Vox Nova also performs at other events both on- and off-campus.
As a performer in this choral ensemble, you will receive a Vox Nova performing stipend, a merit scholarship based on your academic record as an incoming student, and College credits for participation while you are a full-time student at Mount Aloysius.
Vox Nova is not a music major, but rather is a performance based opportunity for students who wish to continue their vocal success while pursuing another field of study. Vox Nova singers choose their academic major from the College’s various programs.
To be considered for Vox Nova, you must return:
- The College Application for Admission with a non-refundable $30 fee.
- The Vox Nova application. Please contact the director at (814) 886-6495 or email Nancy Way for an application.
- Official high school transcript demonstrating a grade point average of 3.0 or better. (All Vox Nova applicants must meet this academic standard.)
- Three letters of recommendation. Two-letters should be from professional musicians (e.g. choir director, private voice/instrument instructor, musical theatre director, etc.) who can testify to your musical abilities, strengths and achievements. The third letter should be from a non-musical, non-family member who has observed you in a setting requiring responsibility and individual strengths. (E.g. employer, volunteer supervisor, clergy, etc.)
- Upon completion of the four requirements, send the above items to the Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions. These items will cover your application for entrance to both Vox Nova and the College.
- You must be accepted into the College and your program of study in order to participate in the ensemble.
- Mount Aloysius College is a professional college offering bachelor, associate, and graduate programs. Vox Nova students select various programs and degrees as their choice of study.
All students applying to the Vox Nova program must successfully complete an audition. You will be tested for aural and general music skills and asked to sing two solo works of contrasting styles and time period.
On-campus Audition: You must schedule with the music director for an on-site audition. Please contact the director at (814) 886-6495.
The Choral Performance Minor
Vox Nova student performers in a Bachelor degree program may choose to complete a choral performance minor. A student enrolled in the minor must be a member of Vox Nova for six semesters at two credits each semester. The remaining credits may be made up through any of the music courses offered at Mount Aloysius. This course of study is available to Vox Nova participants only. Please contact the music director with any questions regarding this program.
Nancy Rosensteel Way has been a faculty member of Mount Aloysius College since 1991. She received her Master of Music degree in Choral Conducting from the Hartt School of Music and Bachelor of Science degree in Music Education from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. She studied privately with conductors Robert Page, Gerald Mack and James Meena. Ms. Way has been music director for the Johnstown Symphony Chorus and Allegheny Highlands Regional Theatre as well as music instructor at Saint Francis College. She was guest director for Blair and Indiana Choral Festivals and a panel member for the Choral/Opera division of the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts. She is a member of Chorus America, the American Choral Director’s Association, and Pi Kappa Lambda.