You may submit a Petition for Independent Status to the Financial Aid Office. The financial aid administrator can change your dependency status from dependent to independent based on adequate documentation of any special circumstances you might have. That decision is based on the aid administrator’s judgment and is final – you can’t appeal that decision to the Department of Education.