Accepted Student FAQ

Home » Future Students » Future Student FAQs » Accepted Student FAQ


When do I need to commit to MAC?

A $200 tuition deposit serves as your commitment to Mount Aloysius.  On your acceptance letter, you will find a due date for the non-refundable tuition deposit.  Deposits can be paid over the phone with credit/debit card, online with a Paypal account, or by check.

How do I pay my tuition/housing deposit?

Deposits can be paid over the phone (814-886-6383) with credit/debit card, online with a Paypal account, or by check.  Checks should be made out to Mount Aloysius College and include the student’s name on the memo line.  They can be mailed to The Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions at 7373 Admiral Peary Highway, Cresson, PA 16630.

How do I access MyMAC Portal page/email?

After you register for courses, you can access your MyMAC portal page by going to  Your username will be everything before the of your email address and your password will be your student ID number.  You can also access Blackboard and your student email from the portal.

How do I access Blackboard?

The link to Blackboard can be found on the MyMAC portal page.  Your username is your student ID number and the password for your first login is “mountaloysiuscollege”.  Once you log in for the first time, you will need to change your password.

What is Accepted Student Day?

Accepted Student Day is a day for admitted students to get important information about starting in the fall, as well as get a preview of orientation.  You will get the opportunity to pay your deposit, take care of any financial aid paperwork, set up an appointment to schedule classes, meet your future classmates and professors, and more.

Financial Aid

How do I get scholarships to help pay for school?

There are hundreds of thousands of scholarship opportunities out there – you just have to go look for them.  You can find scholarship applications in your school counseling office, online (i.e. and, and on our Financial Aid page.  Many scholarships require an essay.  Some are renewable each year and some are one time scholarships.

Why is it important to file the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is how the federal and state government determines what aid you are eligible for.  If you would like to apply for state grants, student loans, etc., you need to file the FAFSA.  Some institutional aid may be determined by the FAFSA as well.  You can file the FAFSA beginning October 1 and the priority deadline for filing the FAFSA is April 1.


When is my tuition bill due?

Tuition bills are typically due the week before school starts.  Bills are typically released in mid-July, and are completely online.  You will receive a postcard from the Business Office letting you know when you can access your bill and when the due date is.

How do I pay my bill?
[Our bills are electronic and can be accessed and paid online through your MyMAC Portal page.  You can pay your bill all at once, or you can set up a payment plan with the Business Office.


How do I schedule my classes?

Our Student Success and Advising Department will be contacting you in the spring before you start to set up an appointment.  You can also set up your appointment at Accepted Student Day.  One of our academic advisors will sit down with you and help you make your first schedule.  It is a collaborative effort, and you get a say in what classes you take and when.  Don’t hesitate to contact Heather Low (, 814-886-6420) or Jenna Weyandt (, 814-886-6398) with questions.

How do I find out what textbooks I need?

After you get your class schedule, you can generate a book list through a link on the MyMAC Portal page.  On the left-hand side, look for the link called “Bookstore—Textbook Lookup” and follow the prompts.

When should I buy my textbooks?

You can purchase your books over the summer at our Bookstore.  It is recommended that you wait at least until the beginning of August to make sure all your required textbooks have arrived and are in stock.  You can buy textbooks through the first week of classes.

How much are textbooks?

The cost of textbooks varies each semester, and can also vary between majors.  A good rule of thumb is to plan for $1,000 each semester.  There are many ways you can save money on textbooks, such as renting or buying used.

How do I get my dual enrollment/college transcripts transferred to MAC?

If you already have college credits before starting your studies at MAC, you will need to request an official transcript from the college(s)/university(s) from which you earned credits.  Once we receive your transcripts, we will conduct a credit evaluation to determine which credits will transfer in and what courses they will replace.

What academic support programs are available?

We offer a variety of academic support programs to students at no extra cost.   Students can sign up for peer tutoring and professional tutoring for select subjects through the Learning Commons.  The Learning Commons also partners with other offices on campus to offer academic workshops and study nights throughout the year.  If you have test anxiety or learning disabilities, you can contact our Office of Counseling and Disability Services for help.  Some professors also offer Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions for students for particularly difficult subjects.


When will I receive my housing assignment?

Housing assignments are typically released in early July.  You will receive information on which residence hall you are assigned to, as well as your roommate’s contact information.

What things should I buy for my dorm?

A list of what to bring and what not to bring can be found here:

Can I pick my roommates?

The Residence Life Staff will try their best to honor student preferences when it comes to housing, though no guarantees can be made.  You can request a specific roommate on the housing application form, but it must be a mutual request for it to be considered (in other words, your desired roommate must fill out the application and request you as a roommate as well).

What if I don’t get along with my roommate?

We try to encourage students to compromise and work out differences with their roommates.  If problems arise and a mutual compromise cannot be reached, we recommend contacting your assigned RA for mediation.  If no solution can be reached, the Office of Residence Life will do their best to relocate you.

How are housing assignments made?

Housing assignments are made based on the date of the housing deposit and the housing application forms.  The earlier you put down your housing deposit, the more likely you are to get your housing preferences.

Is it possible that I will have more than one roommate?

There is a chance that you will be placed in temporary housing, which means that you may have more than one roommate.  This happens if there are more students living on campus than there are rooms available.  Typically, once everyone gets settled, rooms become available and the extra roommate will be relocated.

Can I live off campus?

Traditional freshmen who live beyond a 30 minute radius of campus are required to live on campus for their freshman, sophomore, and junior years.  Students who live within that radius can live at home and commute to campus.

Can I bring a Keurig?

No. Keurigs, coffee pots, and other open heat sources are not permitted in the residence halls.  For a complete list of what is and is not permitted in the residence halls, please click here:

Can I bring a fan?

Yes.  Tower fans, floor fans, and window fans are permitted.  Window AC units are not.  For a complete list of what is and is not permitted in the residence halls, please click here:

Can I bring a refrigerator?

Yes. Students are permitted to bring dorm-sized or mini refrigerators.  For a complete list of what is and is not permitted in the residence halls, please click here:

Can I bring a microwave?

No. Microwaves are not permitted. However, there are community microwaves available in each residence hall.  For a complete list of what is and is not permitted in the residence halls, please click here:

What size sheets should I buy?

The mattresses provided in the residence hall require extra-long twin sheets.

What comes in the room?

Each room includes a bed, desk, and dresser for each student.  Additionally, there is a closet(s), vanity sink, electrical outlets, internet port, and cable port.

Can I decorate my room?

Yes – we encourage our students to personalize their living space.  However, there are parameters to what can go on the walls to prevent permanent damage.  Check with your RA or the Residence Life Staff for specifics.

How do I get mail?

Each student is assigned a personal mailbox on campus.  Letters will arrive to your mailbox.  Packages can be picked up with the Residence Life staff.

Is there storage available during the year or over the summer?

There is no storage available on campus; however there are multiple storage units in Cresson that students can rent out.

What is the schedule for move-in day?

Students check in with Residence Life first to get their keys and sign paperwork.  They can then move their belongings into the residence halls.  Typically, move-in is from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Can I have guests say with me?

Overnight guests are permitted as long as they are the same gender and at least 18 years of age.  The student must obtain the permission of their roommate and the Residence Life staff, as well as notify Campus Police and Safety.  Contact your RA to obtain the required forms.

Student Life

What if I’m homesick?

Homesickness is a common occurrence during the first few days after students move in.  The key is to get involved and participate in the orientation activities.  Stay busy so you don’t have time to be homesick! You will have fun and make friends in no time, and MAC will start feeling like home for you, too.

What clubs can I get involved in?

We have over 100 clubs, student organizations, activities, service opportunities, intramurals, and athletic programs to get involved in.  Check out the club fair at Cosgrave Student Center in September!

Is there anything to do on weekends?

Yes! Resident Assistants and Student Activities often hold activities on the weekend such as bus trips, dances, movie nights, game nights, and more.  There are also many things to do in the surrounding area such as hiking, boating, fishing, shopping, movies, golfing, pottery, and much more.

Can I study abroad?

Students have the opportunity to study abroad through our partnership with Salve Regina.  Information can be picked up in the Registrar’s Office, and informational meetings are held yearly.


Where do I get my ID and parking pass?

You can pick up your student ID and parking pass in the Campus Police and Safety Office in Cosgrave Student Center.  Make sure you bring your license and car registration.

Why do I need to go to orientation?

During orientation, you will get to meet new friends, find your classrooms, and learn the ins and outs of campus.  It’s designed to make sure you are prepared and comfortable for the first week of class.  There are also fun activities to help relieve the stress of starting a new chapter of your life and to keep homesickness at bay!


Which orientation should I attend?

Traditional high school freshmen should attend the traditional orientation that begins the Thursday before school starts.  Adult and transfer students can attend the express orientation earlier in August.

What if I’m late to class the first day?

We know that you are still trying to find your way around campus.  Professors are pretty understanding if you are a few minutes late the first day because you were trying to find your classroom.  If you get lost – stop and ask anyone on campus.  They will point you in the right direction.

What if I can’t find my classroom?

If you can’t find where you are supposed to go, feel free to stop in to any of our offices or stop a faculty, staff, or student in the hall.  Everyone is really friendly and will help you out!

What kind of laptop do I need?

The type of laptop you buy is up to you.  Just make sure you have plenty of storage space for assignments.

What cell service provider should I get?

Some cell service providers work better in our area than others.  AT&T and Verizon are the most common providers that have good coverage in central PA.

Who do I contact if I have an issue on campus?

If you have a problem, you should contact the department most directly related to that particular issue.  For example, if you have a roommate issue, you should contact Residence Life.  If you are having trouble with a class, you should contact your professor.   If you aren’t sure who to go to for a problem, you can start with The Office of Student Success and Advising, and they will help you find the best person to talk to.

What do I do if I want to change my major?

If you decide to change your major (it happens more often than you think!), you will need to meet with your academic advisor and pick up a change of major form from the Registrar’s Office.

What shots/health forms do I need to live on campus?

We require certain health forms before you start school.  For a complete listing, please click here:

How do I declare a double major, minor, etc.?

You can declare a double major, minor, etc. by picking up a form from the Registrar’s Office.  Make sure you communicate with your Academic Advisor so you can plan your course schedule accordingly.



Aerial Photo of Mount Aloysius Campus