Frequently Asked Questions

This is a collection of frequently asked questions about admissions at Mount Aloysius College. If you have further questions, please reach out to a member of our admissions team.

Does MAC Army ROTC offer scholarships?2019-10-09T16:56:44-04:00

Yes. ROTC awards scholarships to eligible cadets based on merit. Scholarships awarded can be four-, three-, or two-year scholarships.

On what basis are ROTC scholarship winners chosen?2019-10-09T16:57:33-04:00

ROTC scholarships are not based on financial need. Instead, they’re awarded on merit. Merit is exhibited in academic achievement and extracurricular activities, such as sports, student government, or part-time work.

Will I get credit for my courses abroad?2019-12-03T12:09:47-05:00

Yes, if you complete the academic approval process as outlined in your Study Abroad Application Packet. While studying abroad you will continue as a Mount Aloysius College student and will receive credit for the courses taken in your approved study abroad program. These are not transfer credits and grades from study abroad will be calculated as part of your cumulative grade point average. Course can be applied to core, major, or elective requirements in your program of study.  They can also help you complete a minor in International Perspective!

Where will I live while studying abroad?2019-10-09T15:37:00-04:00

Some universities abroad will have student dormitories, but most will not. Other options usually include sharing an apartment, a furnished room in a “pensione” or hotel, or living with a family. In all cases, student housing is arranged through the host institution abroad.

I’m on academic probation. What does that mean?2019-10-08T20:50:51-04:00

A Cumulative GPA below 2.0 constitutes a designation of academic probation. The purpose of academic probation is not to warn, rather it is to alert a student that he or she is at risk of not succeeding academically. Once a student is identified as being on Academic Probation, he or she will receive advisement and referral as appropriate. Specific methods of remediation will be prescribed to meet the needs of the individual student.

Will I be considered a “freshman?”2019-10-03T14:18:37-04:00

Students who transfer in 30 credits or more toward a degree program will be granted sophomore, junior status where appropriate.

I’m getting ready to file my FAFSA. My parent recently got re-married, do I need to put my step-parent information on the FAFSA?2019-12-18T09:25:59-05:00

Yes. The FAFSA information is based on what the current marital status. This does not mean the stepparent is obligated to give financial assistance to you, but his or her income and assets represent significant information about the family’s resources.

How can I apply for a scholarship?2019-12-03T12:34:40-05:00

There are hundreds of thousands of scholarship opportunities out there – you just have to go look for them. You can find scholarship applications in your school counseling office, online (i.e. fastweb.com and collegeboard.com), and on our Financial Aid page. Many scholarships require an essay. Some are renewable each year and some are one-time scholarships.

Does MAC offer financial aid?2022-07-11T13:44:12-04:00

Yes. In fact, 99% of our students receive some sort of financial aid, whether that be in the form of scholarships, grants, or loans.

When will I receive my housing assignment?2021-09-27T15:38:21-04:00

Housing assignments are typically released in early July.  You will receive information on which residence hall you are assigned to, as well as your roommate’s contact information.

Housing assignments are made based on the date of the enrollment deposit and housing application forms. The earlier you put down your enrollment deposit, the more likely you are to get your housing preferences.

How can I use my aid and/or loans to get books?2021-04-26T15:28:51-04:00

In the event that a student’s aid and/or loans exceed the cost of tuition and fees charged to a student’s account, a student can contact the Business Office to get a Bookstore Voucher to use in the college’s Bookstore. This voucher cannot exceed the amount of the credit available on the student’s account. To be eligible, the student’s financial aid file must be complete and have no conflicting or missing information. For example, verification (if applicable), Master Promissory Note (MPN), Entrance counseling, etc. must be complete. If borrowing a private loan, the loan must be certified by the Financial Aid office at least 10 days prior to the issue of the voucher.

Does MAC accept dual enrollment or AP credits?2022-05-04T09:18:04-04:00

Mount Aloysius College recognizes the Advanced Placement program and will grant standing and college credit for courses in harmony with the college curriculum to students who complete the Advanced Placement Test with a score of 4 or higher. Students who earn a score of 3 will not receive credits for the corresponding class, but they are not required to take that class at Mount Aloysius. Students who are ‘dual enrolled’ can receive credit for classes taken, provided they are in harmony with college curriculum and students earn a C or higher.

International Baccalaureate (IB) courses are also recognized provided the student scores a 5 or higher on either the standard level or higher level IB examinations and the courses are in harmony with the college curriculum.

What are the admissions deadlines?2024-06-27T10:50:12-04:00

The Admissions Office has rolling admissions, allowing student to be accepted for the fall and spring semesters. Applications and admission materials can be completed online. Once all admission materials are received, the student’s file is reviewed for acceptance. An interview with the program coordinator is required for the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program.

When will I receive my diploma?2019-10-03T13:28:06-04:00

Students will receive their diplomas approximately 4-5 weeks after the Commencement Ceremony. Final graduate audits are completed two weeks after Commencement to ensure that graduates have met all core, major, and institutional requirements for graduation. A student is responsible for ensuring that all financial obligations are met and all holds removed from his or her record to avoid a delay in receiving a diploma and final transcript. Please be aware that it is ultimately a student’s responsibility to ensure all of his or her degree requirements are completed. Students should consult the College Catalog to review the requirements of their program of study.

How do I calculate how much to borrow in a Parent Plus loan or alternative loan?2021-04-26T15:32:09-04:00

We encourage students to contact the Business Office at businessoffice@mtaloy.edu or 814-886-6368 to have an estimate prepared by our staff for the academic year. You can contact our office anytime for an estimate, but to receive the most accurate estimate it is best to have your financial aid award and be registered for the upcoming semester.

According to the dependency questions on the FAFSA form, I’m considered dependent and must provide parent information. What should I do if I don’t have any contact with my parents?2019-12-18T09:23:51-05:00

You may submit a Petition for Independent Status to the Financial Aid Office. The financial aid administrator can change your dependency status from dependent to independent based on adequate documentation of any special circumstances you might have. That decision is based on the aid administrator’s judgment and is final – you can’t appeal that decision to the Department of Education.

Do I need to speak another language to study abroad?2019-10-09T15:35:42-04:00

This depends upon the program that you choose. Study Abroad programs are not limited to students specializing in foreign languages. There are many programs where you can take your course work in English. Although not a requirement, we encourage all students to take additional course work in a foreign language.

How many tickets does a student receive for the commencement ceremony?2019-10-03T13:14:50-04:00

Each student who has indicated on the Application for Graduation that he or she plans to walk can receive up to 6 tickets for the ceremony. The total number of tickets is determined by dividing the number of seats by the number of walking graduates. The number of students who choose to participate in Commencement varies from year to year.

My parent has been approved for the Direct Parent Plus Loan, when does repayment begin?2019-12-18T09:20:51-05:00

Repayment of the Parent Plus Loan begins 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed. There is no grace period for these loans. This means interest begins to accumulate at the time the first disbursement is made.

Where can I find a list of programs and courses?2019-12-03T12:47:20-05:00

An updated course catalog can be viewed by visiting http://catalog.mtaloy.edu/.

Do I need to complete the FAFSA?2020-10-14T15:16:17-04:00

Yes. The FAFSA is how the federal and state government determines what aid you are eligible for. If you would like to apply for state grants, student loans, etc., you need to file the FAFSA. Some institutional aid may be determined by the FAFSA as well. You can file the FAFSA beginning October 1 and the priority deadline for filing the FAFSA is April 1.

When is tuition due?2021-04-26T15:26:44-04:00

Tuition is generally due the week before the semester starts. However, you will receive a postcard from the Business Office with your official due date on it.

I’m not doing well in a class. Should I withdraw from it?2021-09-28T16:02:45-04:00

It depends. If you’re thinking about dropping a class follow these steps:

  1. Figure out where you stand in the class by keeping track of all grades earned and refer to the syllabus for grade calculations.
  2. Know that you must seek approval from your Advisor to drop any course at any time. You cannot drop a course without permission or after the 12th week of class (after the 5th week of a Summer class).
  3. There is a timeline to consider as well.
    • If you Drop during Week 1: Grade is Not Recorded
    • Week 2-12: (Non-punitive) W
    • Withdraw at any time without approval: (Punitive) E
  4. If it is after the 12th week of class and you have an extenuating circumstance, such as prolonged illness, jury duty, family emergency, etc., you may petition your instructor for an Incomplete (I) Grade. If permission is granted, you will have 6 weeks from the time the grade is issued to complete missed work. Permission to take longer than 6 weeks requires approval from the Academic Dean.
  5. Understand that most classes need to be passed with a C or better, but some programs require at least a B for certain classes. Speak with your advisor if you’re unsure of what you need to get to pass.
  6. If you are Pre- and you do not pass all the pre-requisite classes to get into your program, you may be putting yourself in jeopardy of not getting into the program or getting into it later than expected, which could push back your graduation date.
  7. You may only repeat a course a maximum of 3 times. For GPA calculation, the most recent grade is used. If you’re thinking of re-taking a class at a different college because you got a D, E, or F here at MAC, understand that the transferred grade will not increase your GPA. You must successfully complete the class here.
  8. When you attempt to put a repeated class on your schedule, you may not be able to do it on myMac. You may need to go to the Registrar’s Office.
How do I apply for admission to a graduate program?2021-07-23T12:04:34-04:00

You can apply in person, online, or send a traditional paper application. Visiting campus is strongly encouraged. During your visit to campus, an Admissions Counselor will review program details. All applicants who visit and apply in person will have the graduate application fee waived. It is our way of saying thank you for visiting!

What should I do with my purse or backpack when I’m on stage?2019-10-03T13:16:50-04:00

We recommend that students do not bring purses, cell phones, umbrellas, backpacks, and other items with them to Baccalaureate Mass or Commencement. There will not be anywhere to secure or lock up these items during the event.

When will I receive my grades?2019-10-09T20:41:22-04:00

Midterm and final grades are available on MyMAC. Final grades are not mailed.

Who is my advisor and how do I contact him/her?2019-10-08T20:45:14-04:00

Everyone receives an advisor after their initial appointment with Academic Advising. We recommend meeting with your advisor within the first 2 weeks of class. Meeting with your academic advisor throughout your time at Mount Aloysius College will more likely ensure your academic success within your chosen program. Check your Advisor’s Office Hours. If you are unable to schedule during normal office hours, advisors may be available at other times. Please give ample notice for advising appointments, especially those outside of normal office hours.

What should I wear to the ceremony?2019-10-03T13:16:33-04:00

We ask that graduates wear dress shoes, no tennis shoes; dresses, skirts and dress pants for ladies and slacks for men. No jeans please. Your attire should reflect the auspicious nature of the occasion. Please beware that each student will be walking up and down a set of stairs to cross the stage.

I wasn’t awarded work-study but would like to participate. How can I get a Federal Work-Study job?2023-08-02T12:47:26-04:00

You can inquire at the Financial Aid Office to see if any funding is available.  If funding is available you’ll be awarded and instructed where to download the required employment forms.

When is tuition due?2019-10-03T14:33:17-04:00

Tuition is generally due the week before the semester starts. However, you will receive a postcard from the Business Office with your official due date on it.

What is MAAPP?2024-07-01T10:13:14-04:00

Through proactive initiatives designed to engage first year students with each other and the college, the Mount Aloysius Academic Preparation Program (MAAPP) is the foundation for a successful college experience at Mount Aloysius College. All MAAPP students take part in a two-day early arrival program, where they move into the Residence halls and make connections with other students, faculty, and staff at the College before other students arrive on campus.

The students that go through MAAPP Early Arrival will have opportunities to connect with campus resources and win prizes throughout not only MAAPP Early Arrival, but for their whole first year.

When can I pick up my regalia and tickets?2024-07-19T10:32:20-04:00

Students can pick up their regalia (caps and gowns) and tickets during the Graduate Salute.

If a student cannot attend Graduate Salute, students are more than welcome to pick up their tickets and regalia by contacting the registrar. Please note any tickets not picked up by the start of Commencement Practice will be included with any extra tickets that are being distributed. Please see the Graduate Salute portion of the Commencement website for more details.

If you need someone to pick up your tickets and regalia, please email the Registrar’s Office at registrar@mtaloy.edu with the name of the person who will be given permission to pick up your tickets.

Does the College accept transfer credits from other graduate schools?2021-07-23T12:11:39-04:00

Yes, a maximum of six credits of graduate work completed with a letter grade of “C” or better at an accredited institution will be considered. A transfer evaluation will be completed as part of the admissions process. Additional course information may be requested for official transfer.

I am expecting a refund check, when will I get it?2022-10-31T15:15:18-04:00

In the event that a student’s aid and/or loans exceed the cost of tuition and fees charged to a student’s account, the college will issue a refund. Refunds are issued after the college officially receives the funding. Depending on the funding sources, this could take 8-10 weeks after the semester starts. Some students may receive multiple checks as the Business Office issues the refunds as the funding is received. If the college is waiting for aid to be received it will appear on your tuition invoice with an asterisk (*) beside it. When the college receives it the asterisk (*) will disappear.

In the event that a student has urgent financial need for part of their refund, they can contact the Business Office to request an advance. Advances are granted on a case-by-case basis.

My parents believe they will not be eligible for a Direct Parent Plus Loan due to adverse credit…now what?2019-12-18T09:19:50-05:00

Parents should still complete a Direct Plus Loan Pre-qualification form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office so an official determination can be made.  If the loan is denied additional unsubsidized money can be processed for the student.  A parent can also contact the Department of Education to appeal the credit decision or opt to use an endorser to try and obtain the loan.

What are the requirements for readmission into a graduate program?2024-06-27T10:27:12-04:00

Students wishing to be readmitted must contact the Admissions Office at (814) 886-6383.

How do I access MyMAC Portal?2024-06-27T10:26:42-04:00

Once you have received your student email and ID number, you can access your MyMAC portal page by going to portal.mtaloy.edu. Your username will be everything before the @student.mtaloy.edu of your email address and your password will be your student ID number.

Is the seating reserved?2019-10-03T13:09:07-04:00

No, seating is first come, first seated.

Are my book expenses covered by my financial aid?2019-10-03T13:55:47-04:00

No. It is the student’s responsibility to pay for the textbooks needed for your courses. You will need to purchase the books at your own expense each semester. However, if you have excess funds on your account after your tuition/fees and room/board are covered, you may be eligible for a timely book allowance (voucher).

Can I get or buy extra tickets?2019-10-03T13:15:07-04:00

Students cannot buy extra tickets. Any extra tickets will be distributed via a lottery at the end of the practice during graduation week.

How do I get my parking permit and student ID?2019-10-03T14:32:10-04:00

You can pick up your student ID and parking pass in the Campus Police and Safety Office in Cosgrave Student Center. Make sure you bring your license and car registration.

I had FWS last year, however this year I was not awarded it. Why didn’t I get work-study?2019-12-18T09:13:41-05:00

There are several reasons why you may not receive Federal Work-Study from year to year. The reasons could range from when you filed your FAFSA, how you answered the question on your FAFSA about interest in work-study, to funding levels or even other aid sources you received. Contact the Financial Aid Office regarding your specific situation.

I have been selected for verification by the Department of Education, how do I get a copy of my Federal Tax Return Transcript?2019-12-18T09:29:02-05:00

You can request it online at www.irs.gov or call 1-800-908-9946.  You can also do a paper request by downloading the form 4506T EZ at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript.

How do I enroll in my courses?2019-10-03T14:29:03-04:00

Our Student Success and Advising Department will be contacting you in the spring before you start to set up an appointment. You can also set up your appointment at Accepted Student Day. One of our academic advisers will sit down with you and help you make your first schedule. It is a collaborative effort, and you get a say in what classes you take and when.

How do I pay my tuition?2024-07-10T13:46:57-04:00

Mount Aloysius College accepts checks, money orders, debit/credit cards, and cash in the Business Office. The Business Office is located in the Administration Building in Room 124. There is a night depository located in the hallway beside Room 123. Checks/money orders should be made payable to “Mount Aloysius College” or “MAC”. Checks/money orders can be mailed to the Business Office at 7373 Admiral Peary Hwy; Cresson, PA 16630. You can call 814-886-6368 and pay over the phone using a debit/credit card. Payments can also be made online using Cashnet. Cashnet accepts all major debit/credit cards and electronic checks. Cashnet can be accessed by logging into the students MyMac portal page. Students can invite additional users that they authorize to be a payer on their online account. Inviting a payer allows the additional person to have their own log in to Cashnet.

Learn more on our Student Billing Hub.

How do I find out the status of my graduate application?2021-07-23T12:02:34-04:00

Students can contact the Admissions Office at (814) 886-6537, or by emailing admissions@mtaloy.edu regarding the status of their application.

How much money does MAC Army ROTC usually award, and what does the money go towards?2019-10-09T16:57:08-04:00

A MAC Army ROTC Scholarship pays full tuition and fees to include a monthly spending allowance of $420, and a semester book allowance of $600.

What if my parent’s income changed and is considerably different than what we used on the FAFSA we filed?2019-12-18T09:22:44-05:00

 If there is a reduction of income (taxable or non-taxable), unusual medical/dental expenses, elementary and secondary tuition, and dependent care expenses, your family should complete the Special Consideration Forms for both the Federal and State government. These forms are located under the Financial Aid Forms and Documents section of the Mount Aloysius College website.  Special Consideration requests must be submitted by the student and processed by the Financial Aid Office before the last day of the Fall/Spring semester.

Is Commencement practice mandatory?2019-10-03T13:16:06-04:00

Commencement practice is not mandatory, but highly recommended to ensure that your special day goes off without any hitches. If you can’t come to practice, we recommend that you arrive to the Auxiliary Gym earlier on Saturday so that staff members can answer any questions you may have about the ceremony. Students should report to the Auxiliary Gym no later than 9:30 a.m. the morning of Commencement.

How do I wear my hood?2019-10-03T13:17:30-04:00

When you remove your hood from the bag, do not attempt to make any adjustments to the hood. The hood should be worn draped around your neck with the largest portion of the hood hanging down your back. The velvet border, which indicates your specific field of study, should be showing on the outside. The velvet should fold under on the lower back to allow the colors of the College to show. Staff members of the College will be available the morning of Commencement to help students with their hoods and regalia.

How do I calculate how much to take out in the Direct Parent Plus Loan?2019-12-18T09:18:27-05:00

Once you receive notification from the Financial Aid Office that it is time for your parent’s to complete the PLUS Prequalification Form, you should contact the Business Office to determine the amount needed to cover the bill for the entire academic year.

When reviewing my FAFSA, I realized that I made a mistake and need to make a correction – how do I do this?2019-12-18T09:27:49-05:00

You can do this one of two ways. With your FSA Id go back in to your FAFSA record and make the correction and resubmit to the Department of Education. Or, you can bring your correction with supporting documentation, if needed to the Financial Aid Office and we’ll make the correction for you.

I started college somewhere else. Can I transfer to MAC?2019-10-03T14:15:40-04:00

Yes! We love accepting new students from different schools. Over 200 students each fall are actually transfer students.

Courses that are completed at regionally accredited institutions and are applicable to your major will transfer. We also transfer in credits from selected nationally accredited institutions and the military. Mount Aloysius College has specific articulation agreements with a number of colleges and universities.

Do I have to be Catholic to attend MAC?2019-10-03T14:16:20-04:00

While Mount Aloysius College was founded in the Catholic tradition, and Catholic masses are offered on campus, you do not have to be Catholic to attend Mount Aloysius College.

How often are Army ROTC scholarships awarded?2019-10-09T17:05:24-04:00

Scholarships are awarded once a year for high school students. Students apply by December 15, and selections are made continuously through May 15. Four-year scholarship applications must be requested between March 1 and November 1. Also, if you are already on campus, two-year and three-year scholarships are often available.

I’m a dependent student, but whose information do I report if my parent’s are divorced or separated?2024-01-02T09:46:17-05:00

You report the information about the parent (and step-parent, if applicable) who provided you the greater amount of financial support for the year. If the financial support is equal you will list the parent (and step-parent, if applicable) with the higher income.

What is a FSA ID and how do I get one?2024-01-02T09:46:54-05:00

An FSA ID is required to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. If the student is a dependent student, both the student and possibly both parents, must have an FSA ID. An FSA ID can be obtained at https://studentaid.gov/ . Both the student and parent(s), if applicable must have a valid and separate email account.

When will I know that my credits are transferring?2019-10-03T14:17:42-04:00

We send a transfer evaluation with your acceptance letter. Our transfer counselors can do an unofficial transfer evaluation when you visit the College. Transfer evaluations are released quickly from the Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions.

What is the schedule for move-in day?2019-10-03T14:34:16-04:00

Students check in with Residence Life first to get their keys and sign paperwork. They can then move their belongings into the residence halls. Typically, move-in is from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

What happens to my financial aid if I receive outside sources of financial aid (ex: scholarship, veteran’s benefits, TAP funding, etc.)?2020-10-29T10:22:00-04:00

Your financial aid may be adjusted depending on your situation. A student’s aid can never exceed their cost of attendance and some institutional aid or loans may need to be adjusted based on the amount you receive.

What is the ROTC course composed of?2019-10-09T16:55:18-04:00

The ROTC program is divided into phases: The Basic Course (freshman and sophomore years) studies Army history, organization, structure, and basic military skills, such as basic rifle marksmanship, first aid training, and land navigation. The techniques and principles of leadership and management are stressed throughout. The Advanced Course (junior and senior years) concentrates on tactical operations and military instruction, as well as advanced techniques of management, leadership, and command.

Where do I begin the Study Abroad process?2024-07-19T10:37:01-04:00

The Mount Aloysius College coordinators (Registrar & faculty representative) oversee the study abroad process. The first step should be to visit the CISabroad web site. The web site is designed to acquaint you with the process of planning a program that will meet your specific needs. After reviewing the web site, schedule an appointment with the Registrar or the faculty representative.

When should I begin my planning for studying abroad?2019-10-09T15:38:09-04:00

The key to arranging a successful experience is careful planning. You should begin by meeting with the Registrar’s Office and/or the Faculty Study Abroad Coordinator in the fall of your freshman year but no later than one year in advance of your departure. Although you are not permitted to study abroad for a semester until your junior year, it is not too early to begin planning in the freshman year.

Can I study abroad?2019-10-03T14:14:59-04:00

Students have the opportunity to study abroad through our partnership with Salve Regina. Information can be picked up in the Registrar’s Office, and informational meetings are held yearly.

How will I receive my tuition invoice?2021-04-26T15:25:41-04:00

The Business Office will mail you a postcard each semester letting you know when you can access your tuition invoice and the due date. Tuition invoices are generally available 1 month before the semester starts. Tuition invoices are electronic and can be accessed and paid online through your MyMAC Portal page. You can pay your bill all at once, or you can set up a payment plan with the Business Office.

Is there a military obligation associated with ROTC during college?2019-10-09T16:54:43-04:00

During the first two years, ROTC cadets have no military obligation.

What is MAC’s Federal School Code for the FAFSA?2019-10-03T13:51:17-04:00

The Federal School Code for Mount Aloysius College is 003302.

When can I request my final transcript?2019-10-03T13:19:26-04:00

Students can request your final transcript online two weeks after the Commencement ceremony. If you need a more immediate verification of your status, students can request a letter from the Registrar’s Office by email the office at registrar@mtaloy.edu.

Is the Federal Work-Study deducted from my tuition bill?2020-10-14T15:11:52-04:00

No. You will be paid every two weeks for the hours you have worked. 

Does the college offer a payment plan?2022-03-29T10:20:11-04:00

A College Payment Plan is available to assist students in meeting their financial obligations. Payment plans can be set up on the MyMAC Portal Page using the Cashnet link or by calling the Business office at 814-886-6368. There is a non-refundable fee of $50.00 for the payment plan. All eligible financial aid, including grants and loans, will be applied prior to calculating the amount due. First installments are due on the initial stated due dates. The College reserves the right to refuse a payment plan to any student who has not met prior payment agreements. The payment plans are designed to have the tuition invoice paid in full by the end of each semester. Fall payment plans begin in July and run to November allowing for 5 monthly payments, however if the plan is set up in August it would be a 4 month payment plan. Likewise, spring payment plans begin in December and run to April for the 5 month payment plan. You must formally set up the payment plan each semester that you choose to do a payment plan for.

Can I bring my car to campus?2023-02-02T15:06:32-05:00

Yes, all students attending Mount Aloysius College may have a car on campus. The parking registration fee is $45 yearly.

How do students benefit from MAC Army ROTC?2019-10-09T17:06:35-04:00
  • Guaranteed management job after graduation
  • Average of $55,000 starting salary (Second Lieutenant salary with Housing Allowance and Subsistance Allowance)
  • $420 monthly stipend while in ROTC (Must be contracted)
  • Compete for 100% Tuition Scholarships (2, 3, or 4 year scholarships)
  • Compete for summer Army Specialty Schools (Airborne, Air Assault, Mountain Warfare, etc)
  • Compete for summer Cultural Understanding and Learning Proficiency (4 weeks training with a foreign military)
  • Compete for Nurse Summer Training Program (Nurse Majors Only)
  • Can simultaneously be a member of the Army National Guard or the Army Reserve while in ROTC
  • May elect to attend Basic Combat Training in the summer after Freshman or Sophomore year
  • Non-Deployable while in ROTC
  • Obtain a Secret or Top Secret Security Clearance (Must be Contracted)
I’ve been accepted. How do I commit to MAC?2021-09-27T15:39:02-04:00

A $250 enrollment deposit serves as your commitment to Mount Aloysius. On your acceptance letter, you will find a due date for the non-refundable tuition deposit. Deposits can be paid over the phone with credit/debit card, by check, or online.

What health forms do I need to complete before starting school?2019-12-03T12:22:33-05:00

We require certain health forms before you start school. For a complete listing, please click here: https://www.mtaloy.edu/health-services/.

Is federal work-study available?2019-10-03T13:53:45-04:00

Yes, some students may qualify for work-study depending on their financial need.
It is your responsibility to review the on and off campus Federal Work-Study job listings and contact the supervisor of the site at which you wish to work to inquire about a job. If a position is open, you will need to schedule and interview with the supervisor and have him/her sign your Employment Application. You will not be assigned to a job. You will have 30 days from the date of your award to return all paperwork.

Once Federal Work-Study paperwork is complete, you will receive a postcard in the mail a few weeks before the semester begins. This postcard will confirm your work-study site, your supervisor, and the number of hours you’ve been awarded. It is your responsibility to contact your supervisor the first week of classes to set up a schedule and begin working. If you are new to the Federal Work-Study Program, you will be required to attend a mandatory Federal Work-Study Seminar. You will be notified when theses seminars will be held.

If you have questions about federal work-study, contact the financial aid office.

Can I commute? Or must I live on campus?2021-07-23T12:16:12-04:00

Freshman, sophomore, and junior students who live more than 45 minutes from campus must live on campus. Students within 45 minutes of campus are encouraged to live on campus for the full college experience, but are permitted to commute from the home of a parent or legal guardian.

Is Federal Work Study deducted from my tuition invoice?2021-04-26T15:29:06-04:00

No, when a student signs up for federal work study the student will earn a paycheck as they work. The student can use that paycheck as they best need to for college supplies and expenses.

When and where are the courses offered?2019-10-03T14:24:01-04:00

Courses are offered on our main campus in an 8-week accelerated format with some courses offered in a blended format or fully online.

Can I transfer in the spring?2019-10-03T14:18:14-04:00

Transfer students can choose to start in the fall or in the spring semester.

What are the admission requirements?2024-06-27T10:41:03-04:00
  • An application with a professional career/goal statement and a $30 application fee
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • Official undergraduate transcript(s) from every college attended
  • Resume

An undergraduate statistics course and an interview with the program coordinator is required for the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program.

Can I request a roommate?2024-06-27T11:13:02-04:00

The Residence Life Staff will try their best to honor student preferences when it comes to housing, though no guarantees can be made. You can request a specific roommate by emailing residencelife@mtaloy.edu – however, it must be a mutual request for it to be considered (in other words, your desired roommate must also email and request you as a roommate).

Will there be graduation practice?2023-04-26T12:15:52-04:00

Yes – practice for all students will be held on Thursday, May 11 at 3:30 pm immediately before the Gaelic Gathering hosted by the Alumni Association.

Can I take a tour of MAC?2019-12-03T12:31:59-05:00

We encourage prospective students to see the campus for themselves before applying! To schedule a tour visit https://www.mtaloy.edu/visit/.

How much does MAC cost?2021-04-26T15:27:56-04:00

This year’s tuition can be viewed at https://www.mtaloy.edu/admissions/tuition-fees/

Who is eligible to attend MAC?2019-10-03T14:05:42-04:00

Recent high school graduates, transfer students, adult students, international students, graduate students, and members of the military are all welcome to apply to MAC!

When is the enrollment deadline?2021-08-04T16:28:35-04:00
Mount Aloysius College follows the national enrollment deadline of May 1 each year. Students can still enroll after May 1st, but programs/courses could be full or waitlisted. The priority housing deadline is April 1st.
How many credits do I need to graduate on time?2019-10-08T20:53:47-04:00

In order to graduate on time in a bachelor’s program, you must have 15 credits per semester or be willing to take summer classes. To be considered a full-time student, you need to maintain 12 credits a semester.

How often must I meet with my advisor?2019-10-08T20:52:39-04:00

Freshman are assigned an advisor that aligns with their chosen program. It is the student’s responsibility to schedule an appointment to meet with their advisor and schedule their first semester’s classes.

Following your freshman year, you must continue to meet with your advisor within the first 2 weeks of class.

What will it cost to study abroad?2020-01-21T14:44:01-05:00

Depending upon the program, the cost of a semester abroad is approximately equivalent to a semester at Mount Aloysius College. You will continue to pay the regular tuition amount to Mount Aloysius College, not to the university abroad. If you are receiving financial aid, you will need to meet with a member of the Financial Aid Office to  determine what portion of your financial aid you will be able to apply to your study abroad experience.

Students opting to participate in Study Abroad through CIS-Center for International Studies during the summer, fall or spring semesters should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and may use state and federal financial aid (excluding work-study) to defray the cost of the Study Abroad tuition/fees/expenses. The Office of Financial Aid will process your financial aid for these semesters through Mount Aloysius College using your study abroad costs and number of credits that you will be enrolled for in your program. Study Abroad programs may have higher costs than Mount Aloysius College; however, this does not mean that your federal and state awards will be increased (including your Direct Stafford Loan). Contact the Office of Financial Aid for additional funding options if your costs exceed your aid awarded.

In addition to Mount Aloysius College tuition, the cost of airfare, accommodations, meals, field trips and administrative fees must be factored in. Read the materials from each program carefully to get a reasonably accurate sense of the total cost of the program over and above regular Mount Aloysius tuition. Remember to consider the currency exchange in calculating the cost of your program abroad.

What do I do if my grade for a particular class is incorrect?2019-10-09T20:40:52-04:00

You should contact the instructor of the class. If he or she determines that the grade should be changed, the change is initiated on a Grade Change Form signed by the instructor, department chair, division chair, Dean of Academic Affairs, and Registrar. Once the required signatures are in place, the form comes to the Registrar’s Office and the change is entered into the grade system. The student may view grades on MyMAC to see the changes that were made. Disputes of a final grade must be made within 30 days of the final grade being posted to student’s record.

Incomplete grades (“I”) for which the work has been completed are converted to a grade via the process listed above. The student has 6 weeks to make up an incomplete grade or the “I” will be changed to an “F.”

What makes MAC Army ROTC different from regular college leadership/management courses?2019-10-09T16:54:19-04:00

Students in ROTC learn through a unique program that involves both classroom and “practical” exercises.

I am not doing well in a class and may drop/withdraw from it – what will happen to my aid?2019-10-03T13:54:53-04:00

Your financial aid for the semester will remain the same if you drop after the add/drop period; however, you may need to make up the dropped credits over the summer to maintain aid eligibility (academic progress) in future semesters. You should check with the Financial Aid Office who will review your transcript and advise you appropriately.

What is a 1098-T tax form and how do I get a copy?2024-07-10T09:03:12-04:00

IRS Form 1098-T is an informational form. Per IRS regulations, this form is provided by the college to help students determine eligibility for educational tax credits, such as The American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit. More information can be found regarding IRS Publication 970 at www.irs.gov.

Students can opt in to receive their 1098-T form electronically. To receive the form electronically, the student must log into their MyMac Portal page, select the Student Tab, and choose Financial Document Center from the menu on the left of the screen. The student will then select “Consent to electronic statements” under the tax documents section. Consent for electronic delivery of IRS Form 1098-T will apply to statements issued every year until one of the following occurs: the Student opts out on the MyMac Portal page or contacts the Business Office in writing revoking electronic consent.

If a student does not elect to receive the form electronically, the 1098-T form will be mailed to eligible students no later than January 31st of every calendar year for the previous calendar year. Students should promptly update their address information with the Registrar’s Office if a change occurs. Students can contact the Business Office at 814-886-6368 or BusinessOffice@mtaloy.edu with any questions or concerns regarding their 1098-T form. 

What time should I arrive to get good seats?2019-10-03T13:17:53-04:00

We recommend that guests plan to arrive on campus no later than 9:15 a.m. to ensure they have time to park their vehicles and arrive at the Athletic Convocation and Wellness Center well before the event begins.

Seating is first come, first seated.

Are there scholarships available to help with the cost of study abroad?2019-10-09T15:37:46-04:00

Yes, there exists scholarship opportunities to assist in the cost of studying aboard for a semester and during the summer. The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies or credit-bearing, career-oriented internships abroad. Such international exchange is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.

You may learn more about the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship program and apply through their website. Please pay close attention to the deadlines for application.

You may also want to download this overview of the scholarship program.

What if I can’t fit a study abroad semester into my program?2019-10-09T15:36:37-04:00

Some undergraduate majors cannot easily include a semester abroad, so you may want to consider other options, such as a summer or intersession study abroad experience. CIS Abroad offers many of these short-term study abroad programs each year.

What types of identification are acceptable to complete my I-9 form for work-study?2019-12-18T09:15:06-05:00

Two forms of identification must be produced to complete the form. A valid driver’s license and social security card are normally the documents students’ produce to complete the I-9 form. However, there are several other document that can be accepted. Contact the Financial Aid Office if you unable to use both the driver’s license and social security card.

How do I pay my tuition?2021-09-30T13:55:25-04:00

All students who are accepted to Mount Aloysius College through the Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions are asked to pay a $250 enrollment deposit which will guarantee their place in each respective fall and spring class. The deposit is deducted from the student’s accounts.

Can only scholarship winners enroll in MAC Army ROTC?2019-10-09T17:05:10-04:00

No. Anyone can enroll in ROTC, regardless of whether you’re a scholarship winner or not, and all equipment is furnished at no cost to you.

I filed my FAFSA form, however, I did not list Mount Aloysius College as one of my college choices – how do I add it?2019-12-18T09:26:42-05:00

Using your FSA ID, you can go back into your FAFSA form on-line and add Mount Aloysius College to your application. Our federal school code is 003302. You will also need to complete the Pheaa Enrollment Change Form if MAC is now your 1st school of choice.

What materials do I need to apply?2021-07-23T10:34:50-04:00

Application requirements differ from traditional students to transfer and adult students. Please visit our admissions page to view specific requirements.

All applicants must complete an application.

Where can I buy my textbooks?2019-10-03T14:30:59-04:00

After you get your class schedule, you can generate a book list through a link on the MyMAC Portal page. On the left-hand side, look for the link called “Bookstore—Textbook Lookup” and follow the prompts.

Starting in August, you can purchase your books from the campus bookstore. You have through the first week of classes to purchase your books.

Are there special accommodations and parking for handicapped guests?2019-10-03T13:18:28-04:00

The Athletic Convocation and Wellness Center has reserved wheelchair capacities on both the upper and lower level of the facility. Wheelchair seating is indicated below:

  • Lower Level East Bleachers – 4
  • Lower Level West Bleachers – 4
  • Upper Level East – 7
  • Upper Level West – 6

Campus Safety will have designated drop off areas outside the front of the Athletic Convocation and Wellness Center. Please see the Parking Directions in the Commencement website for more detailed information. We recommend that guest needing handicapped seating arrives early as possible to ensure that guests can sit together. The Campus Safety Department requires anyone requesting to use handicapped parking spaces have either a current state issued handicapped plate or placard.

If you have a family member who needs interpreting services for Commencement, please contact the Registrar’s Office at registrar@mtaloy.edu.

Students who are participating in the ceremony will be emailed a link in April to make requests for special accommodations for seating. Anyone wishing to bring a service animal to the ceremony must provide the service animal’s documentation to the Office of Safety and Security the week prior to the ceremony.

How do I know if a Federal Work-Study site still has positions open?2019-12-18T09:12:14-05:00

You will need to contact the supervisor of the site and inquire if their positions have been filled.

Must I take the SAT or ACT before applying to MAC?2019-10-03T14:17:05-04:00

Mount Aloysius College is a Test Optional College where students are not required to submit scores for the majority of academic programs.

Students are required to submit SAT/ACT scores if they wish to be considered for cooperative academic programs in Dental, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, Osteopathic Medicine, Physician Assistant, and Physical Therapy. Meanwhile, nursing applicants are required to take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) and submit scores for consideration for direct acceptance into the program.

Four Year students wishing to be considered for the Mercy Presidential Scholarship Program should submit SAT/ACT scores or submit a letter of recommendation from your high school principal and two letters from high school teachers from academic course of study.

Can my parents defer repayment of their Direct Plus Loan?2019-12-18T09:21:47-05:00

Yes. The parent will need to contact the Department of Education to find out how to defer the payment. However, interest will accrue on the loan while in deferment.

How can I apply?2021-07-23T10:35:45-04:00

Students can apply for admission either online or with a traditional application. We do not have a preference. It is important to apply early during your senior year.

Upcoming Events

Follow us on Instagram

  • Revolution, love, and comedy will fill the stage as the Mount Aloysius Theatre Department presents "Urinetown: The Musical" in Alumni Hall. Come catch this satirical and dystopian show March 31, April 1, and April 2 at 7:30 p.m with the doors opening at 7:00 p.m.⁠ ⁠ Tickets are free and donations will be accepted to benefit the Tim Michrina Endowed Scholarship Fund.
  • Shout out to the 20 Mounties who are spending their Spring Break serving others on a service trip near New York City. You are truly living the Mercy values.  #MountiePride 
  • Thanks to professors Anthony Dragani, Jeff Sunseri, Laura Lansing, and Matt Arsenault and librarian Maggie Lykens for sharing their expertise with Mount students and employees at Pop-up Colloquium: Understanding Ukraine last week. Your candor and knowledge was appreciated by everyone in attendance.
  • The Mountie logo just got a lot cuter. Thanks for sharing your Mountie in training  @toddabod !

Follow us on Flickr

This website uses cookies and third party services. Accept